The next series begins: TBD. This series is the most effective way we know to introduce people to Ashtanga yoga.
This series takes the fear out of beginning a yoga practice. When I began practicing yoga, I jumped right into a regular class on the schedule. It was so different than anything I had ever done but despite having no clue what I was doing, I absolutely loved it. The movement, the breathing, the vocabulary, and the mental focus was all new to me, but I just followed along as best as I could. This is the “fake it until you make it” approach. Not everyone is as willing (or naive) to start in this way, so we’ve developed a beginner series to introduce people slowly and effectively to the transformative practice of yoga. We will cover the standing postures of the Ashtanga Primary Series each class. This will give you a solid foundation to move into regular classes on the schedule. Come with an open mind and a desire to learn something that will truly enhance your life. Your body will become stronger and more agile and your mind will be more calm and focused. Pre-registration is required. Cost is $108. This price includes 4 semi-private beginner classes, 4 recorded practice lessons that cover the content from the week that you can practice to and unlimited yoga classes through the duration of the series. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com.
Mysore is truly an ALL-LEVELS class. This way of practicing and learning is the backbone of ashtanga yoga. It is the most traditional and effective way to learn and practice this method. It is named after the city where Pattabhi Jois lived and taught. In this class, students lead themselves through as much of the practice as they have memorized. If they are newer to the practice, they may only know enough to practice for 30 minutes, where as a more advanced student may need to allot themselves up to 2 hours. Typically, mysore classes will have a 90-120 minute window for a student to participate. If they know nothing, we will teach you the breathing and the sun salutations. We will meet you where you are! Remember it is a PROGRESSIVE practice.
Students are often intimidated by this style of class because they are expected to have a portion of the series committed to memory. However, they quickly see the merit of doing the practice without being led as a group by a teacher because their individual needs are met and addressed whether they are newer, injured, or advanced. It truly accommodates all levels. This class is a lot like taking a private in a group setting.
There is a misconception that the students are practicing without guidance and will not progress as quickly. This can’t be farther from the truth as the teacher has more energy to watch, adjust, and offer guidance as needed because the teacher does not need to lead the group. As long as the student is committed and motivated, he/she will see and feel a difference in both mind and body. Mysore also fosters a more meditative environment because the room is quiet, except for the occasional questions and comments and the steady hum of the ujjayi breathing.
Once students get used to the initial shock of not being led, they often confess that they prefer mysore to led classes because it makes them more present. The more present, the more efficient, effective, and transformative the practice can be. Mysore is transformative and empowering because it teaches the student to become self motivated and inspired by his/her own ability to work hard, focus, and be disciplined. Under the guidance of a skillful teacher, you will progress.
Things to consider:
- This is a discipline. Come as consistently and frequently as possible to get the most out of it. We all have days we just don’t want to get out of bed or off the couch but we usually find that if we muster up enough strength to get on our mats we feel like we have the to ability to act and make a difference. It’s empowering! Remember to pick a goal that is workable for you and your family whether that is 2 or 6 days a week and stick with it!
- Please respect the teacher. Let her guide you the way she feels is appropriate. Keep in mind she has gone through the same process you are going through. Please don’t skip or add poses without permission from the teacher. Also please don’t ask for new poses, the teacher will know when it is time to introduce new ones. If she asks you to wait so you can do a certain pose together, please wait.
- To keep a meditative environment please don’t attempt to help, adjust, or talk to your fellow practitioners during mysore. Feel free to ask the teacher if you need help.
- Give it a chance! Commit to it for at least a month before you decide it isn’t for you. Often people are nervous the first couple of times they do mysore. Be prepared to be a little out of your element in the beginning. We promise, it will pay off!
- Respect your body. Don’t push to your edge every practice but don’t hide from it every practice either. Find a nice balance by listening to your body each day and practice accordingly.
- Yoga is meant to open up a whole new world of possibilities to you. With time, practice, dedication, and faith you will become stronger and more opened that you ever believed possible. Don’t take my word for it- come experience it for yourself!
- We will do the opening chant 15 minutes after class begins.
- Please allow 20 minutes for finishing postures.
Ashtanga Led Primary Series
This class is for all levels of Ashtanga practitioners, except for those who are brand new to this style of yoga. The instructor’s intention is to flow through the entire primary series in the traditional count. For those who are less experienced, there are three options: observe the unfamiliar asanas and simply watch or modify the postures (the teacher will help you) or feel free to leave early. There is almost always a person or two that wraps up early and that is totally fine. Over time and with consistent practice, the student will be more comfortable and able to do the entire primary series in an uninterrupted, rhythmic, and meditative flow. This class is meant to challenge but not to overwhelm. Come, do your best, and lose yourself in the flow!
Full Primary Practice
This is a full primary class done in the traditional count. The teacher will not guide you verbally but will be practicing with you and giving you minimal prompts when necessary. This is a wonderfully meditative class as the group moves in unison and in silence. All levels are welcome to attend. If the full sequence is too overwhelming, students are welcome to stop early.
All Levels One Hour Ashtanga
This class will cover the sun salutations, standing postures and an assortment of postures from the primary series and closing sequence. The classes will start with the standard sequencing and the second half of the class will be varied each time. The student will enjoy consistency and variation of the ashtanga method. Previous experience is recommended but not required.
A great way to fine tune your practice or learn yoga for the first time. Schedule a private lesson with one our teachers. We offer one hour privates ($90) and 90 minute privates ($150), as well as “group” privates for up to four people. What a great way to learn the practice with friends!